Epigram Books Fiction Prize 2021 Rules and Regulations
- The Epigram Books Fiction Prize 2021 (“EBFP 2021”) is open to all citizens and permanent residents of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
- The work submitted (“Submission”) must not be posthumous.
- Submissions that are under contract with or consideration by another publisher are not eligible.
- Submissions that have been previously published in any form are not eligible. For the avoidance of doubt, works that are self-published or works that have been made available online are considered to be published.
- Submissions must be fictional and they may be on any subject.
- Submissions must be in the English language.
- Submissions must either be an original work written wholly by the author(s) or an original translation of a work translated wholly by the translator(s).
- Submissions may have more than one (1) author and/or translator (each collectively referred to as an “Entrant”). Where the Submission is an original translation of a work, one of the Entrants must be the original author of the work. There is no limit on the number of Entrants for each Submission. Each Submission should be accompanied by one (1) entry form, regardless of the number of Entrants.
- Where the Submission is an original work, the Entrants must have the sole and exclusive rights to the Submission in all territories.
- Where the Submission is an original translation of a work, the Entrants must have the sole and exclusive rights to the English language translation of the Submission in all territories.
5. Number of entries
- Entrant(s) may submit more than one work for this competition, provided that Submissions are different and not variations of the same work. Each work needs to be submitted separately.
6. Closing Date
- The closing date for this competition is 1 August 2020.
7. Rights of Refusal
- Epigram retains the right of first and last refusal to publish all Submissions, regardless of whether the Entrant wins a prize.
- Epigram shall have three (3) months from the date of the winning announcement to inform all Entrants if it wishes to publish their Submission(s).
8. The Award
- EBFP 2021 carries a monetary award of S$5,000 for each of the four shortlisted Submissions and an additional S$20,000 for the winning Submission, which shall be selected from the four shortlisted Submissions.
- The monetary awards constitute the advances against royalties for the publication of the four shortlisted Submissions, which shall only become payable when a publishing agreement has been signed.
- A copy of the publishing agreement shall be made available upon request.
- Where a shortlisted Submission has more than one Entrant, the monetary award shall be shared equally between the Entrants. For the avoidance of doubt, the author(s) will share one half of the monetary award and the translator(s) will share the other half of the monetary award.
9. Announcement of winner(s)
- The prize will be awarded in January 2021. The shortlisted Entrants will be notified closer to the date of the announcement and will be invited to attend the award ceremony. If a shortlisted Entrant cannot attend this event for any reason, they may nominate a representative to accept the prize on their behalf.
- The shortlisted Entrants will be invited to conduct public talks, workshops and/or other events.
- The shortlisted Entrants will be required to speak to the media and attend media engagements, and support Epigram Books in all marketing and publicity related to EBFP 2021.
Epigram reserves the right to amend these rules and regulations without prior notification.